Monday, January 3, 2011

That Which Needed to be Said

I didn't really have any plans for new year's this year, not that I ever really have plans for that day, I usually spend it with my family, or in my room reviewing and reflecting on the year that has passed and setting goals for the year to come. This year I went to bed early, only to wake up to the worst news ever.

Some idiot- some worthless, insane, ignorant idiot decided to kill people.

Some ignorant, backward minded person decided to kill innocent people. To bomb a car near the entrance of a church when people were praying inside. And I know that regardless of what the person thought, or who told him to do it, or anything, there is no way this person is going anywhere but straight to hell.
This Earth knows no justice, or at least this country doesn't, yet there is a deity that wouldn't accept such inhumanity.

I will not mention anything about the sectarianism this has sparked, because generally, the country, the people have grown more passive, more aggressive and more backward minded than ever...close minded, too. Things were as bad, in terms of bombings and attacks based on religion, in the eighties and early nineties, but shouldn't we be going forward?
One thing I don't get is how and why is the minister of interior still in office...I really, really don't get it. But then again there is a lot of things that I will never get about this country.

I also don't get why Egyptians should need protection among fellow Egyptians, I don't get how someone should need intensified security within the borders of their own country.
This is heartbreaking.
It is also heartbreaking that you get little children asking each other in the playground whether they are Christian or Muslim. This is sad. So very sad. We are going through a process of social retardation. Social and state retardation.

And you wonder why the well educated leave? Why those who truly care leave? You wonder why those who have a sense of patriotism tend to lose it? You wonder why those who love the country are always let down? You wonder why those who ever wanted to make a change turn into nothing but a figure added to your GNP? And why even the slightest glimpse of hope fades away so easily?

Well, now you know why.

This country broke my heart, and only those you love can break your heart.

13 comments:

Dinah. said...

Today I woke up to find that someone deliberately scratched my car. Like They mean it. Like they want to cause me harm. I felt too sad. I almost cried. Not for the car, for the cause of harming without a reason rather. I felt so insecure in my OWN NEIGHBORHOOD. Seriously WHY ? why would anyone want to do that ?

I agree with everything you said about the current condition of the Christian-Muslim heated situation.

sfd said...

It's almost impossible to comprehend why these things happen and why, as you say, some people can't move forward but want to be stuck in some dark corner of the past. But it's always just some handful of people and thankfully they are and always will be in minority, and there are those of us who have evolved way past this kind of (non)thinking who will keep making this world a better place. Don't give up hope.

Anna said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. My heartbreaks for all who were affected. I pray for all of their healing - Whether they are Christian, Muslim, tall, short, blonde, redheaded, I pray for them.

It makes me so sad that the world has such atrocities. Sometimes I can't bear to watch the news, i always change the channel during the animal abuse public service announcements to keep from bawling. Some people in this world are so disturbed & full of hate. It breaks my heart. My mind can't even begin to understand. But I hope for changes of heart & more Love in the world. Everyday I hope.

So much Love to you, dear friend.
Praying for you & all those in Egypt.
Xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. This actions are unacceptable. What you said about the educated leaving is very true. Where I'm from(Nigeria), people leave constantly. I experienced a bomb blast once when I still lived there. I was only 11. I don't know why a stupid human would set bombs. It is wicked. May Allah send them straight to hell on the day of judgment.
I hope you are okay soon.
You have my love.


LOVE!

Becca said...

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I am glad that you are ok though...far be it from me to understand why people do crazy things like blow up churches and use bombs etc. I will pray for the situation as well.

Gracie said...

I'm sorry for what your country is going through. And I can't even begin to understand why these things happen and why people do what they do.

I pray for you and your country. x

Dima said...

Sara my love, what has happened is a big tragedy and it's so hard to believe that this is the situation, I'll tell you that I totally understand how you feel believe me. But I want to comment mainly on the last part of your blog, and my comment is based after my visit to palestine after 2 years and a half of no being in it, my dear Sara, because you love your country and care, you shouldn't leave and all these intellectuals, well educated, all those people full of energy, ideas should stay. why ? because the country is suffering and falling apart, the only reason to leave is because you know your country is safe so it's okay to leave but it's not. It's not easy I know, and it needs lot of time, but hope shouldn't be lost... Egypt needs the people who are leaving, I understand all the obstacles but it's not impossible and inside you you know it's true! That's my opninion any way .. I love you .. x

Anonymous said...

My dear, I hope you are healing.
All my love.


LOVE!

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry to hear this. how awful!

Anonymous said...

I love you.


LOVE!

Taylor said...

Coming from the outside to see your perspective is interesting. I agree with you wholeheartedly. It saddens me too to see how insensitive this world can be to certain people and things. People are just that - people. We make mistakes and we are not infallible. But in that every person is a miracle. It is sad how some people go tthrough their days and never even acknowledge that. It is not just Egypt. It's in America too, and everywhere.

I appreciate your comments on my blog lately, I have been so busy! I hope you are doing quite well. And about your program in Washington DC - that sounds so interesting. Do tell me more about it, and if you plan on spending time there!

Becca said...

Have not heard from you in awhile-how are you?

cairo, lusaka, amsterdam said...

What a heartfelt post. That morning was absolutely horrible. I was in Cairo and it was just terrible :(
The tension keeps growing and one day it is going to lead somewhere.