Monday, August 5, 2013

Birthday Month

Obligatory sentence about how I cannot believe that it is August already. Wait a second, it really is August...
This year has been quite the roller-coaster for me - quite a few shocking realizations about myself and my life, and an overall feeling of stagnation regarding that life...I went to see a therapist for the first time in my life, and she asked me one time: Sara, do you think you are depressed?
I looked her in the eye and said no.


I said no because there are hundreds of thousands of people who lead lives that are much more troubled than mine, lives that are a million times more difficult. I have it easy. I have it very easy, I believe, and hence, I have no right to be depressed.

It has been stressful, I agree, with helicopters flying over my building as I try to sleep at night to wake up early enough for an hour commute to a job I love...with army tanks on my way to my daily hangout...with my own little personal issues and insecurities...but I can't complain.

A few months ago, I attended this picnic event thing in a "public park" that has deterred public access and reserved the park for Zamalek elite who have no problem spending EGP 30 on Koshari that you could otherwise buy for EGP 3. I had fun, I had so much fun, but the minutes I left the park, I felt horrible, I felt really bad because who are these people - who have club memberships worth tens of thousands of Egyptian pounds - to prevent those who can only afford this park from entering it on a weekend? Mind you, they didn't physically prevent anyone from entering, but there was the barrier created through looks and brands and makeup...

end of rant.

It's my birthday month! And I promised myself that on days leading to my birthday, I will blog more, and here I am. I am turning twenty-six this year and I cannot believe it. I don't know where the past year of my life has gone...I really don't. I don't feel old...but I have tons of grey hair, my metabolism is slowing and my "late nights" are getting earlier and earlier. I have been working full-time for the past five years, I have cousins who have babies now, and my baby brother is twelve. What the hell, life?

I usually make lists before my birthday. This year, until my birthday, I want to"

  • Start a monthly budget
  • Plan my holidays
  • Write more. I write here, by the way. Let me know what you think!
  • Spend more time with my brother and sisters
  • Finish the book I am currently reading (NW by Zadie Smith) 

No comments: